Schut has been making paper since the “Golden Century” of Dutch masters. Its “De Veentjes” mill in the Veluwe region of the Netherlands was founded in 1618 and has been in continuous operation since then. The rapid currents of the Heelsum book provided the water needed to operate the mill. Although no definitive proof exists, tradition claims Rembrant used Schut paper.
In 1710 the Schut family purchased the De Veentjes mill and continued making quality paper. The mill remained in the Schut family for almost 300 years. The mastery of paper-making techniques was passed on from generation to generation.
Schut was purchased by De Gelderse Papiergroep NW in 1982, who brought with them the famous Van Gelder Oud Hollands “Old Dutch” paper. On July 1, 1998 Schut became a subsidiary of Papeteries de Clairefontaine.
The quality of its papers has enabled Schut to prosper over four centuries. Once, one of 168 small paper mills in the Veluwe region, Schut is the only specialty grade producer that remains. The mill still radiates a traditional atmosphere and applies the same degree of skill and care to every sheet of paper that it did in historic times.